1. MartinM

MartinM Banned

I failed the Turing Test…

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MartinM, Dec 23, 2020.

I failed the Turing Test…

Turing test - Wikipedia

The idea I was thinking of was a near future where our iPhones and daily thought processes become absolutely reliant on each other. This to the extent that the general public taking an IQ test in Junior school see a high proportion fail the Turing Test.

Implication pointing to the evolution of Homo Sapiens down a techno-bio branch of Darwin’s tree of life.

How would you build a character’s arc or explore the wider implications for the human race going forward?

I’m struggling with building a character against this path.

Any ideas or thoughts on the subject I’d love to hear…

MartinM

missy olis likes this.
  2. missy olis

missy olis New Member

Hi, this is a very interesting and forward-looking topic.
    In relation to this issue, I have a view that in today's societies seems like an imaginary issue.
    I believe in space creatures and the presence of civilization underground. I believe in lemurs and their advanced life underground.
    There are people like me. There was a woman named Sharola who came to earth from the city of Telus. This woman was one of the people of these underground civilizations.
    Sharola said something about the computers of her own civilization. For example, their computers do not use a binary system, but are quantum and intelligent computers.
    "Our lives depend a lot on these computers," she said. These computers can not be used in a way that is selfish or to the detriment of humans or animals or nature.
    These computers have intelligence, and this intelligence allows them to communicate and be friends with humans in the right way. That is, computer intelligence does not rule over human intelligence.
    It depends on the choice of man what intelligence he wants to rule him. Yes, I think this deterministic view will come true if more and more people around the world eventually decide to be in control of binary intelligence.
    But we can consider another case now. Although we do not know how to make it now. Build computers that have a very high level of intelligence.

MartinM likes this.
  3. mar-iposa

mar-iposa Member

Ex Machina explores this question directly, could be worth a watch.

You mention the Turing Test and biotech, so I assume the question your character should pose is "how much tech can I use before I am more tech than human— too much tech to be considered human?" Your character could have new, different ailments that seem inhuman because of the biotech: "I can't go out for dinner tonight, my leg-tech is downloading a software update." :D

The leg-tech example is not that great though, because a human can be considered human without a leg at all... so why not use the tech? I think a story exploring this has to pose questions about how technology affects people neurologically. Perhaps do some research on present-day neural networks and hypothesize about what a "simulated brain" might do when used as a component of a real, human brain.

My character arc would involve introducing the reader to foreign, tech-induced problems that my character works to resolve. My hope would be to teach the reader "advancement introduces advanced problems" but that is nothing to fear! That's my take on the topic... what do you want to tell the reader?

If you enjoy playing video games, Cyberpunk 2077 does a good job of exploring similar themes as well...

MartinM likes this.
  4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I can well imagine a future with greater use of technology to do things that are currently the exclusive domain of the human mind. An electronic device could easily provide suggestions as to what you might prefer based on its knowledge of you. This could be little more than advanced smart-phones and augmented-reality glasses. It's easy to imagine such technology providing many benefits and positive developments to society in general. Taking the rose-tinted glasses off, I suspect it would be exploited as a means by which a small minority could manipulate the population. As we've already seen in the Brexit campaign in the UK, personal profiles can be used to target advertising to only a select number of recipients (circumventing the usual checks on that sort of thing).

As for a character arc, you could have a naive teenager who thinks the technology is great and then gradually realizes how sinister it all is, by how it's used to persuade people to buy things they don't need and vote against their own interests on the basis of fiction and lies. When people are constantly bombarded with fake news and political spin, individually tailored to their thinking, they can be made to believe the most oppressive backward-thinking regime is the height of freedom and a beacon of enlightenment to the world. The MC campaigns against the system and is vilified by friends and family as unpatriotic and an enemy of the people, because of what their electronic assistants tell them.

DREWSKY, jannert and MartinM like this.
  5. MartinM

MartinM Banned

Thank-you all for the feedback.

@Missy olis

The idea of your intelligent Computers not ruling over humans and allows for communication on an equal footing seems very forward thinking. In nature it reminds me of animals and plants that form symbiotic relationships with each other. The Egyptian Plover bird that cleans the crocodile’s teeth, both bird and reptile becoming dependent on one another. The Flower and the Bee even more so.

A self-aware AI system that develops a symbiotic relationship with a single stand alone human would require two things. An action that returns a reward just like the bird and flower. File management in return for sustained electric power for instance... Maybe growth built into the relationship somehow? It cannot be one-way traffic...

@mar-iposa

Ex Machina does explore many questions and is a brilliant film. However, the protagonist is completely unaware of what or who he is, just like the Directors cut of Blade Runner. My thoughts are of one being human, but aware of the symbiotic reliance on technology. To the extent as a person, one couldn’t survive without and as a species not evolve any further.

Your leg example made me laugh, and was perfect. Below is a link on a thread about the sim-brain you point at. The example in the thread is one of remorse for past actions by my ancestral neural net if you like... Would like to hear your thoughts...

A Bit like Terminator Salvation | Creative Writing Forums - Writing Help, Writing Workshops, & Writing Community

@Aled James Taylor

The arc is perfect for this type of idea. Technology instead of a liberator is just another form of control... 1984, V for Vendetta, the Crusades and religion. How to control the population in one’s civilization. I saw a recent doc on NETFLIX that included an interview with the guy that invented the “Thumbs Up” for Facebook.

I noticed especially over this last year of lockdown how seeing a Thumbs Up did give me a slight uplift. Apparently now the younger generation have become addicted to this endorphin prick. On WF seeing that little red square over alerts, doesn’t that give you a little lift?

Taking your control idea with Thumbs Up reinforcement is very similar to what China is proposing right now with a citizen points system for good and bad community behavior. This leading to credit scores or job approval ratings... Not Sci-Fi and tied very much to your mobile phone.

Again thank-you for the input, please anymore thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

MartinM.

mar-iposa and jannert like this.
  6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

What does it mean that you failed the Turing test? Someone did a blind comparison of you and a machine and determined that you were the machine?

MartinM likes this.
  7. MartinM

MartinM Banned

@Friedrich Kugelschreiber

The title idea was to provoke a thought experiment when a human with a heavy dependance on machine technology becomes undisguisable from that of a machine. A sort of imitation game in reverse if you like.

The Human race over the last 10years as seen an alarming over dependance on technology for day to day living. How does this effect our evolution as a species overtime if left unchecked...?

Thanks for the question

MartinM.

8. missy olis

missy olis New Member

As far as I know, the creatures inhabiting the more evolved planets that are related to spirituality actually believe that God is the kind of energy that guarantees the wisdom and order of the universe. And the more the beings of the universe desire knowledge, the more this light or energy of God will be. In fact, they do not consider themselves separate from knowledge or God. And they attribute the term "source" to God. As a result, every time they accumulate knowledge in their minds or strengthen their psyche and mind, they are directly strengthening the source of existence.
    These creatures even believe that wise creatures can become extinct. Not just on planet Earth, but on all galaxies. But this happens if the creatures do not try to evolve on their own.
    Although I would have preferred God to be a pink unicorn. That whatever happened to good people, he defended them and destroyed the demons.
    In fact, these people feel that they are God. And parts of the world, such as the planet Earth, whose inhabitants are at war, are damaged and insane gods who are currently in quarantine and need to heal themselves. And if they are building machines or computers that are working against themselves, it shows that humans on planet Earth are insane creators.

MartinM likes this.