I guess ADreamer got banned

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Jack Asher, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Also, from the 5th entry on the google search "ban hammer .gif"
    [​IMG]

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I guess her/his being a member here was just a.....dream.

:bigcool:

Yeeeaaaahhh...

:p

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Who was ADreamer and Aire?

jannert likes this.
  4. Jack Asher

peachalulu likes this.
  5. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

"The rassclot tinks he can cold up Badman. He a fool... he's a dead fool... De boy is no match for I and I. He's nuttin!" - Little Jacob, Grand Theft Auto IV
    :bigtongue:

DeathandGrim likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sure, and the answer is yes. Are there ways around even this? Of course. *shrug*

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I just figured 'follow the rules' and you'd be OK. Only got into trouble once with the mods during my stay here.

8. Jack Asher

Yeah? Not so much, me.

outsider likes this.
  9. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Yikes! I hadn't paid much attention to either of them except for one thread each they posted and stirred up controversy. Looking at their introductions though... Wow.

I wonder though if these accounts were characters in a book they're writing. So they turned them into accounts and brought them into the "real" world to see how people would react to them. Dreamer laid it on pretty thick, so that immediately felt like an act to me. Then Aire was so.. specific. Like my pops, going gray. Like my pops, good at art.. I dunno. Maybe we were all just guinea pigs for their newest novel. :p

Anyway. Who knows. People are strange.

10. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

@Lea`Brooks ADreamer was definitely a character the user was writing. He/She mentions joining this forum to write fiction, and then saying says their parents jokingly told them to write a book about their experiences. Their experiences would make it a nonfiction, yet they're writing a fiction.

We were given their life story right off the bat.

11. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Then they should be aware their characters are total Mary Sues/Gary Stus :D

12. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Least it is not Wikipedia - sockpuppet nightmare over there. Most people never realize how desperate some people are to muck things up and there is a little page called "WP:Long Term Abuse" which has some of the most desperate and determined attempts. One user has made more than a thousand socks... and then there is the "ceiling fan vandal" who replaces good images and uploads videos of... you-guessed it... ceiling fans. Sockpuppets and such are something which cannot really be stopped by an even minimally competent user - simply not giving them the enjoyment of being the center of attention is effective. Knowing how to deal with such individuals is a skill every community needs - but it is typically thankless and time consuming work.

jannert likes this.
  13. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Quite possibly the most objectionable person I've ever encountered on here. If it was some sort of method acting though, I'm rather impressed. Wish I'd thought of it.
    *Off to find a proxy for some surreptitious sock-puppetry. ;)

14. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Gross? Do you mean, "Great idea for a ridiculously popular TV series"?

:p

15. Aaron DC

Spit personality.

Adhulari likes this.
  16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Funny. After you've been a member a while, you start to get a feel for who's trolling and who's not. I had those two on my radar for a while. You know, those members who make you think ...nahhh ...I'm not giving THAT one any fodder. We have long-time members who are not noted for always being ...how shall I put this? ...diplomatic. But these are genuine people, being honest rather than diplomatic, and very valuable to our community. It's great that our mods seem to recognise the difference.

But trolls? What on earth goes on in their minds? They've risen, like scum, to the top of the internet's social interaction pot, but they must have been out there 'among us' all along. What did they do with themselves before they went online, I wonder?

Actually :bigoops: I've just realised I did engage with ADreamer on one thread ...the one about taking critiques. My radar was off that day, obviously. However, the discussion didn't get nasty. If it had, I'd have backed off immediately. I would. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Ivana likes this.
  17. Aaron DC

Something with a magnifying glass and ants.

18. Inks

Inks Senior Member

I disagree. Trolls are the product of the internet, The internet gives them meaning, a platform, and recognition beyond a veil that normally does not get crossed in real life. Sometimes it is just mental illness - there is no other way to describe some trolling. Trolls are not the worst type of people on the internet though, they are relatively benign compared to griefers.

jannert likes this.
  19. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, I'm not saying they are the worst people in the Universe. Some of our political leaders fall into THAT category. But trolls were out there before the internet. The internet didn't create them, it just offered them a platform to do harm that carries little or no risk to themselves. Kind of like vandalism without the fear of arrest.

They do dominate the internet now. Just read responses to ANY news story posted online and you'll find them. It's a rare interchange that doesn't get immediately bogged down by people deliberately stirring the pot. It's actually become boring, but it's also incredibly destructive. It destroys the internet as a means for real discussion among people from all over the world.

The only way to tackle them is to avoid them. Or ban them, if you're in that position. But don't respond to them ...ever.

20. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

@Inks what is a griefer?

21. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I peed in the fountain. Apparently that's frowned upon. I was more surprised that the forum even had a fountain. Go figure.

Lea`Brooks and jannert like this.
  22. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Trolls are simply bullies. They antagonize others for their own amusement.

jannert likes this.
  23. Jack Asher

The term originates from the minecraft community, and has since come to every online play system. Originally minecraft worlds were open, so people could create some real neat things and post them online. A giant castle for instance, or 1/1,000,000,000 scale model of the entire earth. A griefer is a person who intentionally joins your world with the specific goal of wrecking shit the fuck up. Blowing up your work with dynamite, flooding it with infinite water blocks, etc.

The term is now used in team player games to describe a player that, for any reason, has set out to make his team fail, in the most aggressive way possible. This usually involves "feeding" intentionally letting other players kill you so that they get more money and more experience, and can generally kill anyone on the griefers team.

I'm honestly not sure how this would translate onto a forum, but @Inks used the term, not me.

jannert and 123456789 like this.
  24. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I used to run an rp forum. I had someone create sock puppets so they'd have someone to agree with them and back then up when conflict arose, and to ship their characters. I also dealt with one of my members finding out a player was really her mother, using the game to spy on her.

25. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

The term has actually been around since the late 90s. I remember some of my first experiences with griefers on public Counter-Strike servers. (Especially the ones with friendly fire.) Ever since online games have existed, gamers have spared no effort to make other gamers miserable. :D

Steerpike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.