1. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Is it sweeter the second time around?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by yagr, Feb 3, 2014.

I sent thirty pages of a recently completed novel to a traditional publisher ten days ago. Six minutes later I received a personal e-mail in return (i.e. as opposed to a form response) telling me that he was printing it out and would have a look see. I have not heard back since. I know that this particular publishing house requests four to six weeks to hear back on submissions, but I suspect that most are not printed out within six minutes of receipt. Too, this is not our first rodeo.

When I sent the manuscript for my first book, I received a contract with a response three and a half weeks later. As this is my second book, and the first was successful, I suspected that I'd hop position in line and hear back almost immediately. Anyone want to wager a guess as to how long I'll be waiting? Too, does anyone think it is odd that I haven't heard back yet under the aforementioned conditions? Can I read anything into this?

I realize that speculation is just that, but since all I've been doing for ten days is pulling out my hair, I have nothing else productive to do at the moment but entertain speculation.

Thanks,

yagr

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It does seem odd that you'd get a response 6 minutes later, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Like you said, you've submitted something to them before, and I guess they recognized your name. There's no telling how long you'll have to wait. It could be a few weeks, or it could be more than 6 weeks. There's no point worrying about it. Start writing your next piece. Congrats on making it this far!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is the publisher you're waiting to hear from the same one who published your first book?

if so, how long ago was your first book published?... and did you submit the ms to your editor there?... staff changes fairly often at publishing houses, so the people you dealt with before may not be there now... plus, if it's a sizable house, you're only one of a slew of their authors, so unless your book was a nyt besteller, or major literary prize winner, it's logical to assume you will have to wait your turn like any first-timer...

if not, why is your first publisher not publishing your second book?

4. yagr

yagr Senior Member

mammamaia,

Yes, it is the same publisher. He has the first right of refusal. I submitted it to the owner and editor who I am friendly with. The personal e-mail I received back asked me about my health and wife - it is not someone different.

5. mammamaia

that's good news... so just be patient and give him time to get to it and make a decision... you've no idea what's going on with him and his staff, so it could only be that he's swamped with work...

6. yagr

yagr Senior Member

But...but...I don't want to be patient! :)

Seriously, thank you.

7. mammamaia

best of luck to you with the second... and congrats on having 'made it' the first time!

yagr likes this.
  8. yagr

yagr Senior Member

YES!!!!!!!!

Just heard back from the publisher - Day 12.... He likes what he read and wants the whole thing now. :)

happy dance....

Renee J likes this.
  9. mammamaia

great news!... hope he likes it enough to take it on... keep us posted...

what's the title of your first book?... can i find it on amazon?

yagr likes this.
  10. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Thank you so much. :) Actually, this is my first novel. I spent twenty-four years as a professional poker player and the first book was a primer on how to win at poker. I just liked the process of writing so much that I decided that being a writer was what I wanted to be when I grew up. :)

But, since you asked, "No Limit Texas Hold'em: A Complete Course" and yes, available at amazon, Barnes and Noble, and fine booksellers everywhere.

11. mammamaia

aha!... that explains the delay... since they hadn't published a novel of yours before, of course it would take longer to decide if your first novel was something they might want to consider, as it takes a completely different skill set to write fiction, than it does to write a how-to...