Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Aug 19, 2016.

1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Now ease up...he said, I quote ‘l only want to write my stuff down, I don’t want anyone to read it.’ Have we not all used the same defence for many years?

AnnGG and deadrats like this.
  2. matwoolf

Frankly...frankly...I’m sorry @DR...but antidote to literary journal publication is reading one...I mean not actually...only free extract...every time I am consumed in loathing for the ‘usual’ capitalist oppressor etcetera...every story...about a university undergrad with cancer father...shagging the professor...she is...while parents care more about cancer...the fools...than her college future.

Just one example.

Apols for pidgin -at work- (CARVE btw)

AnnGG, deadrats and Krispee like this.
  3. matwoolf

that is because you are actually engineer tribe who read Tolkien [?]

Krispee likes this.
  4. James Parker

James Parker New Member

I am actually writing a critique of A Day in the life of a tramp as part of a course I am enrolled in. Which was included in Down and Out in Paris and London. When I said I wont be posting anything for a while, its for this reason. I am taking my time with my work as part of the course. There is a temptation to run ahead of myself and start of pieces of work that I have thought of since I started writing again. However, I am not coming from a place of ego, I have no desire to be published, my writing was inspired by having to record some very difficult experiences in my life. Most of it will be private. I understand that for many of you, you need the validation of others. I dont, I thought this would have been a nice place to chill out, but I guess it just full of ***** like the rest of the internet.

AnnGG, jannert and Krispee like this.
  5. matwoolf

Oh relax a little - l was pulling your leg.

Definitely I, for one am the team ‘validation’ flibbitigibit-type...however.

deadrats likes this.
  6. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Dude, you have to chill a little, we have a little bit of leg pulling here from time to time, keeps things on the level, and ego's at the door. I spent a long time writing with no intention of publication, enjoying the act of writing on its own. And it's not only ego or validation that makes you want to publish; everyone has their own reason for fighting in that particular arena, and even I have (kind of) taken up the sword, to a certain extent. You are welcome here; we are a bit mad at times but do all enjoy the twin acts of reading and writing. If you stick around you will get used to us, I promise.

Oh, so you found me out, you detective you. Yes, I have read Tolkien, although it was a hard read; he wasn't the most talented writer, even he admitted that. I see I shall have to hide my predilections better next time. :ninja:

7. James Parker

James Parker New Member

Just want to clarify, new person joins forum today, decides to be open about his writing, you and friends decide to pile on. thats leg pulling? I am getting this right? Can I be in the IN-CROWD? Maybe less gatekeeping and a more welcoming approach to new people, leave the leg pulling until someone get their arse on a seat? Otherwise, you could be misrepresented as a bully. Matter closed as far as I am concerned.

8. matwoolf

I’m sorry you feel that way. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. There is no in-crowd. Take a breath and ‘go again’ among kind people. All best.

deadrats likes this.
  9. Krispee

Fair enough, we aren't for everyone, and I promise there are no bully's here, just incurable writers. Sorry you feel you can't stay, wish you all the best wherever you go. Just whatever you do, keep writing.

deadrats likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Mod hat on here: I'm sorry this thread got off to a bad start for you, but please give the forum another chance? It's easy, sometimes, for longtime members to get the tone of banter wrong, and maybe upset a new person who isn't used to their 'ways.' I'm sure nobody meant you any harm. Looks like you've had a couple of apologies; I hope you accept them, and that you do stick around. You are very welcome here.

11. Krispee

Yes, apologies here, there was no intent to be mean, promise.

AnnGG, jannert and deadrats like this.
  12. Funerary

Funerary Member

Totally missed this drama as I was celebrating Valentine's with my girlfriend, but this was obvious banter and you shouldn't have taken it too literally. Perhaps it's a colonial commonwealth thing but humour is often utilised in this thread as a way of defusing the all-too-familiar disappointment of [usually] chronic rejection from literary journals. Apologies if we made you feel in any way uncomfortable - this thread has been a part of my life for so long that a regular can easily forget the ambience we have cultivated might not be so evident to a newcomer. For what it's worth, you seem like the type of person we would enjoy having around - although I think you will find that anyone who is experienced at submitting to literary journals has long ago left any concept of validation behind. Writing for validation can only get you so far in the primary stages, if you can't find pure aesthetic motivation within yourself after that, you're probably not going to make it or to continue writing.

AnnGG, jannert, Krispee and 2 others like this.
  13. Funerary

Funerary Member

This was also enjoyable, quite the foil!

14. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Publishing is not about ego, though. Sure, we all would like some validation, but that is something I think goes beyond writing. This is a thread that is mostly composed of failed attempts. A support group for the rejected of sorts. I think everyone starts off writing privately and not really thinking about publishing or really understanding how the world of publishing works. Stick with writing long enough and you will come up with something that amazes yourself. Maybe it won't be good enough to publish, but once you start writing those pieces you think are really good and you want to show someone, things might change. And then you could be in store for a parade of rejections that lasts years. An ego and persistence are two separate things.

This thread with it's mini community is not full of shit or unwelcoming. No one here has an ego problem or is delusional about the marketplace. We work hard and support each other. And, of course, you are welcome. Keep in mind that rejection is hard and it's pretty much a constant in most of our lives no matter the success. So, there is some joking around, but I can promise you no one meant to make you feel bad or excluded. Hopefully, this can be water under the bridge and you stick around.

AnnGG, jannert, Krispee and 2 others like this.
  15. matwoolf

Not Ego

Can I remind viz my wealth of experience how I particularly have also ‘rejected’

...during my undercover in sci-fi assistant slush reader half year.

Very nourishing.

For me the more prestigious achievement than moderator on a literature forum, if she is reading at all .Beyond comparable, you would agree?

[work-post, freedom 8pm nnnnng]

Krispee, jannert and Funerary like this.
  16. Krispee

Did you really read the sci-fi slush or was that a little joke there? ;)

matwoolf likes this.
  17. deadrats

I think he really did read slush for a bit. It's not an easy job and there is little or no pay for slush readers, but it does give you real insight into how the whole process goes. When you have over a hundred stories to get through and you know chances are they will all be rejected it's can be hard to get through the pile. But then there are the stories that stand out. And all a slush reader can do is pass them up. I will never forget the first story I found out of the slush when I was a reader that was actually was published. I had to fight for this story in an editorial meeting when it made it into the maybe category. It was a good feeling that I found this story and it was published. There was another slush reader at that meeting who hated the story. If she had read that one before me, it would have been rejected.

There was another publication I read for where I was blown away by a poetry translation submission. With that one everyone agreed we should take it. Still, it was a rare find.

I do recommend getting a slush reader position to anyone trying to break into these places. It gives you protective to the whole process. I didn't sell any of my fiction before doing this. I still am amazed having made it out of the slush at the places I have, knowing it takes being one of those rare find to do so.

AnnGG, Krispee and matwoolf like this.
  18. deadrats

A 164-day form rejection from Cimarron Review.

19. Krispee

Probably gives you more of an insight as to what makes a good story publishable. Slush reading is not something that is open to me, there aren't any writing magazines anywhere near as far as I know.

20. Funerary

Funerary Member

Geographical proximity is more than likely not an issue, most of this stuff is done online nowadays.

Krispee likes this.
  21. Krispee

Really? Interesting...anyway, no way have I the time, way too busy to do anything like that. Maybe something for the future...

22. deadrats

Some places do want readers to be able to make it into the office for meeting or to read submissions there, but other places are okay with readers working remotely. I think it's probably better if you are close. Editorial meeting can be both fun and heated. I enjoyed being a part of those.

@Krispee -- If you ever want to do something like that, I'm sure we could help you find a place. One thing you might consider is that publications sometimes take on extra slush readers for contests. Of course, there is still an application process and they want you to be familiar with what they publish and look for. But something like that would let you give it a try without making too big of a commitment. FYI -- Being a slush reader is not as fun as it sounds. Wait. Does being a slush reader even sound fun? It's an interesting experience. That's probably a better way of putting it.

23. Krispee

Yeah, the word 'slush' doesn't exactly conjure good times :bigsmile:

deadrats likes this.
  24. deadrats

Does anyone know of a good place to send zombie stories?

25. Woodstock Writer

Woodstock Writer Senior Member

I sent a story to Metaphorosis (the story that’s been declined from many places) today and it was declined the same day. Although they said ‘Declined (but encouragingly)’ and gave me some feedback. It was useful as I’ve barely had any feedback, although I’m not entirely sure what to do with that feedback now.

AnnGG, Krispee and deadrats like this.