Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

No though I want to.

Well if you wnat to know more about Turkey and its Ottoman past. There is a website were you could see the historic dramas for free in English.
    www.kayifamily.com

2. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

I am trying to write something like that tho.
    Introduction

3. Arkadios

Arkadios New Member

I'm a 19-year-old man. I write fan fiction about equines, generally in the post-apocalypse.

I got into writing late last year, when I decided to take part in NaNoWriMo on October 27 with no prior experience in writing willingly. Since then, I've been working on a complete rewrite of what I did in November, and, given how long it's likely to turn out, it very well may be the only story I ever write.

Some Guy and al-khataei like this.
  4. The Outer God

The Outer God Member

A man, perhaps still a little boy who dreams a lot, dreams of horizons beyond time and space, never touched by human mind before. And these visions are what I engrave on the paper (or .txt). Sci-fi and fantasy is my jam, mixed both into one perfect blend.

Some Guy and Rzero like this.
  5. ChromePete

ChromePete New Member

I am Pete, married, dad of 2 and am studying an Open University English degree.

Depression robbed me of my job and I'm trying to find my feet again, but at the moment enjoying a stress free life being a stay at home Dad in the South of England (by the beach)

6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Why does this remind me of . . .

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Candy81_Babyblues

Candy81_Babyblues Banned

Hello
    I am Candra or Candy I am a straight female in her late 30s.
    I am new to this site and learning my way around.
    I write poetry most of my poetry is from my emotions real life experiences.
    I recently started writing dark poetry and I enjoy writing dark poetry.
    I found I have an imagination fit for the darkside.
    Poetry is healing for me I am able to write my pain.
    I am from Arkansas but I reside in Idaho at this time.
    I have three sons who are young men that are pursuing careers of their own.
    That's enough rambling about myself I look forward to meeting everyone.

8. MWB

MWB Active Member Contest Winner 2023

My name's Matt and I turned 50 last year. I've been writing in one form or another my whole life, though nothing I've ever pursued to completion beyond angst-ey teenage poetry. In my teens I can remember banging away on the old typewriter my mom bought me at the Goodwill, I was big into fantasy & Sci-fi and badly wanted to write a Conan the Barbarian-esque novel before I turned sixteen.

In more recent years I've written a lot of music, both lyrically and musically, writing and recording an album several years ago (rock genre). More of a hobby that got out of hand than any form of commercial endeavor though. I still play guitar but I don't write music anymore.

A few years ago I penned a cold-case short story as the background research for the fictionalized novel I'm starting work on now. (which is why I'm here)

The only thing I've ever technically 'published' is an 'epic' true-life love story that spans 40+ years, written in a serialized, online blog format, which I still contribute to occasionally, but it hardly counts.

I'm married and work from home here in the PNW, with a fairly open schedule to write with now that the kids are grown.

jannert, Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  9. acermapleb

acermapleb Member

Guilty as charged. I'm a teenage girl who primarily writes about teenage girls - I guess that's just the demographic I feel most comfortable with.

I write primarily short stories, though I'm learning to dabble in poetry and just "finished" (by which I mean completed the manuscript, substantially edited it, found myself satisfied with it, shared it with a few friends, and set it aside) my first novel. Most of my stuff is realistic fiction involving pretty heavy topics - I just won an award for a piece based on real stories about children kidnapped by terrorist groups - but I want to try my hand at a sci-fi piece and have been trying to figure out how to take what I have from summary to outline to story. It's a piece I'm quite excited about, which is always a good feeling.

I'm really excited to meet all of you!! :)

jannert, Some Guy, Rzero and 4 others like this.
  10. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I'm a young woman who enjoys writing YA speculative fiction. I enjoy writing YA because a) I've been writing since I was a little kid and so have never written about any adult and am sort of intimidated, and b) writing about someone going through that transitional a period in their life is really interesting to me, because they're mature enough to take responsibilities and act adult, and yet young enough that they're still very changeable and probably haven't really set their morals, their personalities, or their aspirations in stone. I like to write about teenagers in their later years (16-19) because then I get to write about the development of all those things. Let's be honest, most 13-15 year olds aren't thinking about their future jobs quite yet. As far as my reasons for enjoying speculative fiction, for dystopian and science fiction, I love being able to predict the future. Dystopian is also fun for me because I don't like authority and I'm very stubborn, and science fiction because...robot invasion. For fantasy books, I just love being able to build my own world, come up with my own social constructs, my own sayings, my own societies, and I guess I just like to play god. Sorry for making you read a veritable novel, but that seems to be a common theme in my posts on here.

jannert, acermapleb, Some Guy and 3 others like this.
  11. jaimie C K Mackie

jaimie C K Mackie New Member

12. Josie Grenwood

Josie Grenwood New Member

I'm Josie, I'm 23.
    I've been writing (badly lol) since I was 12/13. It started with a vampire fantasy series and progressed from there.
    Now though, I mostly write New Adult romance novels. Sometimes these do fall directly into the romance category, but others include action, thriller and fantasy.
    My books are nearly all 1st person, present tense (with a few exceptions) The MC's are both Male and female depending on the overall story with one featuring both. The youngest MC is 19 (female). The oldest is 32 (male).

My current novel which I have almost finished (grins excitedly) is a university, romance trope. If anything it's to get it out of my system whilst my own uni experiences are still fresh in my mind.
    I intend to self-publish at least one book by the end of the year.

jannert, Rzero, Xoic and 1 other person like this.
  13. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

I just signed up yesterday. I don't consider myself a writer, but I know my life story would make an amazing novel.
    If I heard someone tell me their story as I have lived mine, I wouldn't believe it.
    There a lot of things I'be experienced that cannot really be shared with the people closest to me so I journal.

According to all the experts out there, I should be hooked on drugs, alcohol, sex and more. However, I refuse to become a victim of my circumstance.
    I am a fighter. I have been all my life. However, I am at a point in my life where I'm exhausted. I can't keep bottling it all up inside. I'm tired of being alone in
    this fight.

I signed up hoping I can write/ journal about everything inside the bottle. I can't be the only one out there. Perhaps someone will share their experience
    and/or perspective. Sometimes a different perspective can make all the difference. Perhaps my journals will help others work through similar situations,
    give them hope and let them know they are not alone in their fight.

Cave Troll, matwoolf, Xoic and 2 others like this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Spainglish!

I’m one of the forum moderators, and I want to welcome you to the forum.

I'm hoping you can settle in here, and that you can get started with your journaling. You might want to try opening a forum blog, which you can do, even if you are a new member. A blog can be your forum 'journal.' You have some control over who can see your blog, and you can write anything you want in it, provided it doesn't violate our Forum Rules for certain types of content, etc. The good thing is, unlike our Workshop, you can post your own work there right away. However, it's just for other people to read and maybe make a comment or two on it. It's not intended for feedback on the writing itself, so keep that in mind. (If you want feedback, you'll need to put your work in the Workshop area, after you've met the requirements for posting there.) But you're welcome to start a blog. https://www.writingforums.org/faq/blogging.22/category

After reading your post above, I do want to caution you a bit, though. This is a writing forum—with a Lounge area to let off occasional steam and have a bit of fun. WritingForums isn't meant to act as a support group for life issues, so we hope you'll keep that in mind. Concentrate on WRITING about your life issues—rather than debating these issues with other members or attempting to get advice on them—and you'll be in good company. :)

In order to help you get oriented and get settled, here are a couple of links I strongly recommend that you read at the start, if you haven’t already. They will give you a good idea of how we operate here on the forum:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

You will notice in the New Member Quick Start that in order to post your work in the Workshop area—the only area of the forum where you are allowed to post your work and ask for feedback—you will need to do at least two critiques for other people, in exchange for receiving feedback on one of your own pieces of work.

This site is designed around the concept of members helping each other out by ‘paying it forward’—through our two-for-one critique system. So do two critiques, THEN you can post something of your own. This advance 2:1 ratio lasts as long as your membership here.

In order to help you get started doing critiques, here is a link to a good article written by one of our former moderators: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

One of the popular areas of our forum is our contest section. There is a monthly contest running for Short Stories, Flash Fiction and Poetry. You can enter these ongoing contests, even as a new member. And we really encourage you to visit the site, read the current entries, and vote for your favourite when the voting period starts. This means a lot to the people who have written these entries. And it will also give you a good idea of what our members are capable of writing.
    https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

While the Role Playing Game section is not new, it’s being given a revamp. So if you are interested in playing and writing Role Playing Games, you might want to visit this section and get in on the fun. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/resurrecting-the-dead-rpg-section-rebuild.165055/

I hope you have fun getting to know us and let us get to know you, via the posts you make. Please feel free to explore the forum. There is a lot under the hood. This site map might help you find your way around more quickly than the menu bars do, so feel free to use it. https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to contact me or one of the other moderators, whose names appear in yellow at the bottom of the Community page. We will be glad to help.

Again, welcome!

Cheers for now,
    Jan

15. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

Thank you, Jan. After looking around the site, I determined the Blog and Poetry sections would probably be the best fit for my journaling.
    However, I could not post in either section. It says I do not have permission. Is there something I need to do to get access to those areas?

16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Its because you're new - you'll get access to start thread in the workshop when you've been here two weeks, have posted 20 times, and provided two critiques for other people... I would note however that the poetry section is for posting poetry for critique its not for journalling.

Blog wise that's also on restriction but it may be less than 14 and 20.. some things only have a three day hold to deter spam, I'll have to go check

Spainglish likes this.
  17. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

Thank you. I wasn't going to use the Poetry section for journaling. I actually have a lot of poems I've written over the years. I once considered trying to publish them. I would love some honest critique to see if they're worthy. :)

Xoic and EFMingo like this.
  18. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

One thing you should know about the blogs here—they run on the Xenforo plugin, and apparently that will at some point be discontinued. No idea when, but the blogs will all cease to exist. You can download your blog as a series of PDFs, but it will no longer exist here on the forum. You might want to instead use the Progress Journals section. Those will be sticking around. Seems kind of weird blogging on something called a progress journal, I decided to just use the blog, knowing it could all disappear at any time.

Actually, I should ask—to a mod—would it be ok to use a progress journal as a blog? Not sure I've seen anybody do that.

19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

cool - I've checked access to start a blog in the blog section requires 14 days membership and 20 posts...

20. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

That's not really their intended purpose. If anything, you would hurt yourself more than not because not many will follow a blog not found in the blog section. On the other note, I save all blog post by date to a storage drive I have at home. This double back up I do with all works to prevent loss.

Xoic likes this.
  21. big soft moose

The plug in issue is to do with the upgrade to Xen Foro two... i don't know the detail on that but i'd be surprised if it happened any time soon or if we just duumped the content when it does (that said its always wise to keep a backup of whatever you blog/post if its important to you), I'll page our admin @Komposten for more info on that.

In regard of progress journals - those are for as the name suggests journalling your progress with your writing - i use mine mostly for tracking word count, but some people also use them to diarise issues, problems, successes and so on... it should be noted however that they are not intended for the blogging of things unrelated to writing

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Spainglish and Xoic like this.
  22. Xoic

Thanks guys—makes sense.

23. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

I did think about using the Progress Journal initially, but when I read the description I determined it wasn't the proper place for me.
    Who knows? I may be inspired to write after completing more poems and journals. I could start with Short Stories in the Non Fiction section for critique.
    This could be the catalyst to a great novel. Stranger things have happened! :)

Xoic likes this.
  24. Xoic

You know what, I might have mixed up blogs with the Gallery. When I first joined it was with the understanding that there's a Gallery here where we can post our stories. There is, but it's also a Xenforo thing, and that one I think is going to just disappear when the switch is made. I don't know if the same is true for the blogs, Xenforo 2 might still have blogs, and the old content might transfer over. Sorry to confuse the issues here, but it's because I was confused, and this is clearing it up for me.

25. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback greatly.
    All of this is new to me so any information you provide is helpful.
    I"m also glad my confusion helped you clear up your confusion. ha ha!

Xoic likes this.