1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

World Building Leviathan for Scrivener

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Wreybies, Sep 8, 2015.

Wreybies submitted a new resource:

World Building Leviathan - A Worldbuilding Bible Template for Scrivener

Read more about this resource...

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 9.22.56 AM.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Aaron DC likes this.
  2. Wreybies

If you've never installed a new template to Scrivener, unzip the .zip file and you'll get a .scrivtemplate file. For Mac and for Windows, close any project you may have open (just the project, not the ap) and you'll get this window (this is the Mac version, the Windows version is practically identical). At the bottom left-hand corner you'll see the Options button, click it, and the rest is intuitive.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 8.21.27 PM.png

The template populated under the Fiction templates icon.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 8.20.10 PM.png

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If I know what my world is like and what's in it, will the tool still be useful? I'll wait until you know more about it for that answer.

4. Wreybies

Unless your world feels like it's missing something to you, or feels "thin" to you, I would hazard that for this project the answer may be no, it probably won't help. I found the same to be true, for me, using the aforementioned Dramatica Story Pro. Besides being a ridiculously overcomplicated application, I was already very invested in the two WIP's I had/have going and half the time I felt like telling the application to go take a flying you-know-what because it wanted to "write" me into corners and I had already long ago decided on other corners. This Scrivener Template doesn't seem to have that same particular raison d'etre that frustrated me about D.S.P., but it does feel like it's meant to be a companion notebook of sorts for someone starting from the ground up in a new world.

With that said... My two WIP's have stalled and in a major way. Nose dive from 32,000 words and the controls are unresponsive. :bigeek::bigfrown: Maybe what I need (key word is maybe) is to backtrack with something like this template and see what I'm missing, what I've failed to take into account, find the 4th wheel that I didn't realize was not there.

GingerCoffee and jannert like this.
  5. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Thanks @Wreybies I am downloading it and will check it out.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Any chance you're installing this to a Windows machine? If so, could you give me the skinny on the template install SOP? I haven't done Windows since Moses got his feet wet. ;)

7. Aaron DC

I am on Windows, and when I work it out, I will post back. It's late and I am not braining too well so will look at it on the morrow :D

Wreybies likes this.
  8. Wreybies

Ok. Sorry, I forget that when I'm having my coffee, you're getting ready for sleepy nigh-nigh. :sleepy:

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ermm ...you might also want to just step back a bit, pour yourself a soothing beverage, chill out on your lounger or whatever you've got that resembles one, and just let your right brain gradually overrule your left. The eureka moment will come to you, if you let the stew simmer long enough. If you push at the problem constantly, trying this trying that trying the other thing, you can actually push the solution away. Your instinct and your subconscious should come up with the solution, if you don't put pressure on yourself to come up with a solution. And meanwhile, you get to deepen your tan and drink something nice! What's not to like?

10. Aaron DC

Not sure where the template location is, however creating a new project and selecting "Import templates..." from the [Options] dropdown allows you to import the template, as shown below:

scrivener new project.png

The template then appears under the Fiction item:

scrivener template imported.png

IHaveNoName likes this.
  11. Wreybies

Many thanks, Aaron. :agreed: The screen captures are especially helpful since they show me that the GUI and the process for importing the template is practically identical to the Mac setup.

12. kinggod

kinggod New Member

thank you very much!!!!

13. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Thanks for the presentation, I just recently found this but haven't yet had time to give it an in-depth overview. Not sure if this tool is exactly what I'm looking for, but I always love collecting more resources.

Wreybies likes this.