1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Zombies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JTheGreat, May 14, 2011.

You know it, you love it, one of the most popular ways for civilization to turn to ruin (other than the Robotic Uprising), it's the Zombie Apocalypse! Hypothetically, if it were to happen, do you have a plan? Any weapons of choice? Have you read the survival guide?

1 person likes this.
  2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would gather all my friends and family, finding the safest house out of the way and outside the city, since zombies tend to linger in the city (more food). We'd pick up ammunition and food -- lots of both -- on the way, then find our safehouse and hole up inside it. We'd put up blackout windows, keep everything quiet, try to get some sort of WiFi or TV signal if possible, and keep a 24/7 rotating guard shift of the house from the upper floor. Eventually, we'd move up higher into mountain territory, since zombies dislike the cold and stay there until we get any news of a sanctuary/cure or until the zombies starve.

I've actually thought about this in detail before. :p

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

When I lived in Arizona, Joel and I had big plans-steal a helicopter, pick up one of my coworkers, and fly out to said coworker's relative's house. Apparently his relative had machine guns and such. We figured we could pit stop at a Walmart to stock up on supplies, then hole up at the house with all the guns.

Of course, now we live in Nevada...I guess we could stick to the plan, but it would take longer. Seems risky.

4. Gigi_GNR

Stealing a helicopter would be a pretty impressive feat. I think we should build a WF hideout somewhere up in the mountains or in Canada or something. :D

5. hiddennovelist

Let's do it!

With any luck, the stealing of the helicopter would be made easier by everyone's distraction over a zombie attack.

6. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

If you don't have your supplies on hand right now, you are as good as dead (unless you are wiling/able to take them from someone else). Walmart will be the worst possible place to go in a Z.A.S (Zombie Apocalypse Scenario); it will fill with desperate people who will be unpredictable and possibly already infected.

I would head to the countryside (or deeper into it). I have all my camping gear ready to rock n roll at a moments notice (water sterilizer, stove, fuel, food, tent, sleeping bag, 70 liter pack) and all my climbing gear stashed next to it. The plan is to drop a line off the side of a cliff (like medicine wall ~20 mins away or Guadalupe River state park ~15 mins away) and repel down mid way. That way zombies at the base cannot reach me and zombies at the top will fall to their death if they try to come down.

I have a ghillie suit that would be used for water/food resupply during the nights (even lower visibility for zombies). Weapon wise, .22 rifle for long stuff, a 12 ga for mid range, and any number of blunt objects (shovels, hoes, bats, 2x4s) will work. All members of the group must remain nude for 3+ hours a day, so that everyone else can confirm that there are no signs of infection.

I figure after 3-4 weeks the Z.A.S. will fade out, as rotting bodies decay fast and an eyeless, toothless, armless zombie is no threat.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I'd have to go along the lines that others have already stated.

I think that people who live in rural areas--especially those that know how to live off the land and without creature comforts--will have an advantage during such an occasion. Their existence would be less affected than most of the population, in my opinion.

Personally, my outlook depends upon what type of zombies we are talking about. Are they the shambling undead that were popular oh so long ago? Or are they the fast moving, frenzied, I'm-gonna-eatcha variety that is popular now?

If it's the former, then I know of a gun-shop that is built like a fortress, relatively nearby. I would do my best to get those closest to me there and setup a base where we could make forays for food, etc.

However, if it's the latter. . . Then I'm pretty much stuck with using a chain-saw to demolish the stairs that lead up to my second-floor place and then try to setup some rudimentary bridges across the rooftops. Unfortunately, this scenario doesn't end as well as the first.

Honestly though, I'd like to cap a half-dozen at least before they got me. Just that whole even-exchange thing, heh.

8. Gigi_GNR

^ I agree. You can't fight the enemy unless you know who your enemy is and how it operates. Are they slow, staggering zombies like Night of the Living Dead variety? Are they midway fast like The Walking Dead, or are they fast and furious like 28 Days Later? How long does infection take to spread if you're bitten -- a few hours, minutes or days? Once you have the basic info like that, you're better equipped to deal with them.

9. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

First, I would move to a hotter climate. As an American, that means the southwestern states. I may hate the heat, but zombies would hate it more. They are decaying, after all, and the extra heat would only serve to please the bacteria eating them away. I'd also set up base camp on top of a mountain or large hill, preferably one without a paved road. Zombies can't heal themselves, you see, so every nick and scratch from rocks and broken glass would bring it closer to... Well, maybe not death, but once it's walking on bare tendons, it won't be long until it's merely crawling up the mountain. Zombies are much less threatening that way.

On that note, shotguns and explosives. Being comprised of half-decayed tissue and bone presents a certain disadvantage against tools that can seriously mess up even the hardiest of living creatures.

Or I suppose I could just stay right here. With all the heavily armed rednecks in my area, it's not likely that a zombie would be able to take a step without being shot.

Sigh... Realistic zombies are no fun at all. :(

10. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I always found the concept of the traditional undead zombies ruining the world amusing. Undead zombies have everything working against them from the weather to wild animals to their own rotting bodies.

Hot weather would cause a zombie's body to rot faster. Cold weather would freeze their body and make it harder to move. Then there is the fact the zombie's body is dead and rotting. Every movement would damage their body further. On top of that, a zombie can barely move as it is. They just shuffle along. Wild animals could peck at them and tear them apart easily. :D

11. LordKyleOfEarth

The problem with shotguns and explosives is that they are HEAVY. Have you ever tried to haul a case of 12ga shells? A box weighs a couple of pounds and you are talking about 50 or so rounds. Compare that to a .22lr, where 200+ rounds weigh in at a couple of pounds and fit easily into cargo-pants pockets. Plus .22lr is common as hell, so restock is easy.

The problem with zombies is not how fast they move or how long they last; it's that they never stop and the infection spreads. Animals are possible vectors (zombie wolves any one?) as are loved ones. Zombie stories are about people trying to survive in impossible situations. The most dangerous person in a zombie scenario is not a zombie, it's the guy who is freaking out next to you and is willing to do ANYTHING (even kill you) to live. The Road is essentially a zombie story without zombies.

12. hiddennovelist

My new zombie survival plan is to have Joel steal a helicopter and fly us to hang out with you, Kyle.

This reminded me that after I started derby, I revised my plan to include roller skates. I just have to be able to skate faster than the guy behind me.

Joel needs to learn how to roller skate, so I don't have to leave him behind.

13. Gigi_GNR

Yeah, Kyle, I think I might have to come and take sanctuary with you too. Seems the safest course of action -- strength in numbers and whatnot. ;)

14. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

The other problem with firearms is that usually Z.A.S.'s last from 5-7 years, so restocking on ammunition would be difficult, unless you melted metal down like militiamen ;). I'm keeping at least a crowbar for a primary weapon, since stabbing might be ineffective.

Also, allegedly, zombies cannot climb. I would stake out a building with resources, take all I need (tent, etc.), take a ladder up to the roof, bringing it with me so they'd have no path of transportation. It seems as though REI after closing would be the most convenient place to be during the breakout XD.

Unless the zombie infection spreads to birds. Then... I'm screwed *Cries*. I guess I'll just hafta get really good with a bow-and-arrow or slingshot :).

I'm searching for The Anarchist's Cookbook, since my friend has it and it's an excellent source of info which would be useful in times like this. But it's... y'know... for anarchists... so they don't have it anymore *Sigh*.

15. Gigi_GNR

Another thing -- are zombies attracted by noise? In The Walking Dead, they're attracted by noise, so the sound of guns would only attract more and waste precious ammo. I think it'd be best to take all the heavy baseball bats you could along with your ammo and guns.

16. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Im not gonna lie but I have DEFINITLEY thought about this countless times. I used to day dream about this and I still do even at 22 :p... I would 100% find the nearest sword/knife shop and load up on katanas (my favourite weapon of all time :D) then I would definitely do some hack and slash! During this I would gather as many supplies as possible, load them up into a big car and find a safe house...preferably a building I could use to snipe zombies :D

Oh yeh my friends and family would fit in somewhere....haha...yep im a dreamer :p

17. fish1

fish1 New Member

I'm gonna join the zombies. Walking around all day eating brains is much less stressful than running around all day trying to prevent your brain from being eaten.

18. MrNomas

MrNomas New Member

I bought a cricket bat "for my son" that is my primary plan. If Shawn of the Dead taught us anything it is that a cricket bat is the ultimate zombie killing weapon.

But seriously, I'm dead anyhow. My cardio sucks. Waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse to get into shape probably not the best plan. My only hope is for the slow "Night of the Living Dead" type and not the "28 Days Later" sprinting zombies.

19. phoenixsharpshooter

phoenixsharpshooter New Member

I'm pretty much thinking:

1) Baseball bats
    2) Handguns
    3) Canned food
    4) Get to a rural area

20. LordKyleOfEarth

Keep in mind that blunt weapons (or anything hand-to-hand for that matter, sorry sword buffs) will result in lots of blood splatter and possible infection of yourself or your team. Best to avoid that level of combat if possible.

Plus it is really tiresome. Have you ever fenced a 10-point bout? Try it some time. And those foils are LIGHT.

21. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

If they're like the zombies in 28 days later I'm scuppered because I'm recovering from a broken foot so running is out of the question. I'm just going to stock up on the ramen and hide in my flat with a shot gun in case they can break in through the door entry system and make it upstairs. Failing everything I will become one, eating brains might not be so bad...

22. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

This thread needs to be a sticky! Clearly alot of us are preparing for/have thought about a possible zombie invasion :p

Personally i still hold to having a Katana (Nihonto)

That may have something to do with the fact that I'm watching Highschool of the Dead...

23. rory

rory Active Member

I'm not sure whether to be amused or slightly disturbed by the amount of planning and preparation some people have put into this. I've never actually thought about it, so guess I'll be one of the first victims! I don't do well under stress, so it's probably for the best anyhow, and I'd be a really mediocre zombie so the rest of you won't have to worry about me adding to your troubles. ;P

24. Chris Gentry

Chris Gentry New Member

1. Find Allies. In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse you will need friends to keep you alive. What if you run into other survivors? They could take your stuff and kill you... or leave you to the zombies!
    2. Weapons and Ammunition. Hope your Allies have weapons and ammunition. Gun Stores will be the first place that is raided. If gun stores are out of the way then grab blunt weapons.
    3. Collect food from grocery stores. Stuff that will last for a long time. Pile into someone's car and head out.
    4. Gas station, use your credit card to buy a lot of Gasoline. Store all of the Gasoline in gas cans. Don't worry about paying it off latter. The people you owe will probably be dead. You will need the gasoline for gas powered generators latter.
    5. Get to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes that has a Garden Section. You will need this section to grow food latter.
    6. Bring all supplies inside the Home Depot. Close all doors and lock them. Chain the entrance to the garden center closed. Using supplies in Home Depot or Lowes, build inner barricades so if outer defenses fail you will still be protected. Keep all food and supplies away from any entrances. Grow food in garden center.
    7. Survive.

Added: I don't believe in Zombies in the Rotted Corpse sense but I do find 28 days latter zombies rather plausible. Especially since there are existing diseases that are a step or two away from turning people into things like that.

25. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

I can put you out of your zombie misery if you like =D