The forum rules are the basic guidelines of the forum. They are subject to change when need arises such as, but not limited to, when there are changes to the forum format, or when new technology requires changes in order to account for it. Failure or delay in the exercise of corrective action for breach of any of the rules and guidelines mentioned below in no way constitutes a waiver of the right to exercise the corrective action in the future.
General Forum and Forum Posting Rules
- All posts must be free of illegal or distasteful content, which includes pornography and nudity, hate speech, posting of copyrighted material, spamming the forum, bumping threads, or flaming/trolling. Incivility towards another member or a moderator— either on threads or in private conversations—is not tolerated, and may result in a warning and/or a ban.
- No advertisements, including in posts, blogs, home pages, articles, resources, forum signatures, profiles, or anywhere on the forum. This includes free products, recruitment for external projects, blogs, other websites, publishing opportunities, and writing services. When posting about such products or services, we consider items where you personally benefit or are affiliated with to be advertising. Advertising as a new member will result in a permanent ban. If you'd like to pay to advertise on WritingForums.org, you can contact us.
- Once you graduate from New Member to Member, you may have up to 2 links in your signature to non commercial sites such as your personal blog. Please remember this is a courtesy we extend to our members and is not meant as a mode of advertising your own ventures. The staff retains the right to remove any link that distracts from the forum or breaks our rules.
- Market research is not allowed
- We do not condone using cracked apps. If we see members asking other members for cracked apps, ways to crack an app, or where they can find cracked apps, we will delete that message and the member will be subject to warning and/or banning.
- Contest submissions, or other work that is intended to reflect your individual effort must be clearly identified as such. We will not do your work for you.
- School/University coursework is not allowed.
- Thread bumping, appending meaningless posts to bring a thread to the top, is not allowed.
- All posts must be in English.
- Posts must contain content by you. Posts with a naked link and no words are not acceptable. Posts that consist solely of memes or emoji's are also not allowed. This is a writing forum, please use writing to communicate. Occasional use of common net abbreviations (things like ROFL, or TMI) is tolerated, excessive use of netspeak is not.
- We do not delete, or allow the deletion of, content without good reason. It isn't fair to those who have replied to your posts, or to the community at large to have content removed from threads. Minor alterations to correct typos, or add more information, or deleting a remark you thought better of before it is replied to is acceptable, but trashing threads by removing posts is not.
- All rules apply throughout the site, Conversations and blogs included.
- Users may only have one account unless approved by the forum administration. Permission for this is typically reserved for staff members who need a "dummy account" for technical reasons. This is not something we grant just because someone really wants another account.
- "Sock-puppeting" or creating more than one account without permission will result in permanent banning of all accounts used by the member.
- User screen names consisting of or containing URLs or website addresses are expressly forbidden. Screen names containing offensive, derogatory or vulgar verbiage, as well as screen names implying that you are an admin or moderator when you are not, will be banned post haste.
- Accounts are never deleted. Never. Not even members who are banned are deleted. Deleting accounts compromises the logical continuity of conversations within the various forum threads. For this reason you should NEVER use your real name as your screen in this or any other forum because most forums have similar policies of not deleting accounts. We're just up front about it.
- Screen names are changed only under a narrow set of conditions at the beginning of a person's membership with us (while they are still officially a New Member.) For example, if a real-world name was used as a screen name when registering, a New Member can request a change. However, once members have achieved full Member status—by being here at least 14 days and making at least 20 posts—screen names are not changed. You are expected to own the behavior in which you engage, and name changes to avoid that accountability are not permitted.
- Images are not allowed in signatures.
- Once you are no longer a New Member you can include two non commercial external links, such as to your personal blog, and unlimited links to pages within our site.
- Links cannot be to sites that contain pornographic or illegal material, which may reasonably be viewed as advertisements or commercial, or which otherwise break our rules.
- Links that are deemed inappropriate, may be removed without warning.
- Please limit signature real estate. "Billboard" signatures (those that are deemed unreasonably large) may be edited or removed without notice.
- Signatures also may not contain text with sexual connotations, racial slurs, vulgarity, or content intended to upset a specific member.
- Avatars may not contain pornographic or offensive material, or foul language (in any language).
- You must not use your avatar image to upset, offend, or harass another member, or as a means of inciting or prolonging arguments.
- Posting material that is not yours and claiming it as your own is considered copyright infringement. No warning will be given if such a situation arises. You will be banned permanently.
- Small sections of copyrighted material may be posted when you cite the original author (fair use) or when it is used with the authors permission.
Since we are a writing forum, WritingForums.org is in favor of free speech and opposed to censorship. The exceptions are situations where content may harm the quality or well-being of the community, which would include situations in the rules above. We ask everyone to remember that with free speech comes the responsibility to use it sensibly.
Posting Your Writing
- The text of all stories, poems, or other writing offered for comment and critique must be posted directly within the Writing Workshop.
- You must own the copyright to all work claimed as your own.
- If your writing contains adult language, sexual behavior, or violence, it must be marked/categorized as such.
- Enclosures, links, downloads, and images are not acceptable (this applies to the WIP itself, as well as its contents).
- The work to be reviewed, and all critiques, must be posted directly, without any supplementary materials.
- Posting in the Writing Workshop requires you to have given 2 or more constructive critiques of other members' work for each new posted work.
- You must be registered for at least 14 days and have made 20 posts before you can create a thread in our workshops. (This requirement does not apply to members who purchase Supporter status.)
- Only your own writing may be posted in the Writing Workshop.
- By posting, you are granting limited use. Specifically, retention or removal of that piece of writing from the site is solely at the discretion of the site administration team, and members may quote the submission in full or in part for the purpose of critique within that thread.
- Please do not spread stories and articles across multiple threads, including blog threads. If a story won't fit in the initial post, subsequent pieces should be posted as replies to the original post.
- If you are requesting a beta-read for a complete manuscript, OR wish to co-write a project with another member, please request this in the Collaborative Projects subforum. These collaborations may be requested only after you have satisfied the Writing Workshop requirements, as well as been a member for 90 days, and made 100 posts. Do not post the work itself anywhere on the forum; doing so may harm your chances of getting it published. Any agreement to give a beta-read or do a collaboration is made solely by that member and not as a part or affiliate of this forum. The forum bears no responsibility to enforce completion of said project. It is an agreement between the writer and the beta-reader or collaborator, separate from the forum.
- Published works should be reviewed on Amazon, Goodreads, or other commercial site. WritingForums is for works-in-progress; a venue for writers to help each other.
Admins and moderators
The Admin and moderators are in charge of the day to day running of the forum. The Admins are Daniel (Owner), and Komposten (Technical admin). The moderators are Minstrel, Big Soft Moose, Iain Aschendale, EF Mingo, and Jannert. Their job is to keep the forum running smoothly as a worthwhile and enjoyable place for all. As part of this they will from time to time have to call for calm, lock, edit, move, or delete posts or threads, or to warn or ban members. When this happens please treat their decision as final.
If you really feel that you must question a point please either use the report function, or contact a staff member by private message. However be aware that moderator actions are only reversed in the rarest of circumstances, and members are expected to respect their authority to run the forum. Refusing to do so may earn you a temporary or permanent ban.
Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was so and so banned?") are not allowed and will be deleted.
Our team are all volunteers who give up their time in order to keep the forum running for you to enjoy. As such they deserve your respect. and treating them otherwise will not be tolerated. Abuse or threatening behaviour to any of our team will result in a lifetime ban.
Rule violations will be punished by infractions. Each violation has a different level of infraction points. Once you receive 5 infraction points you will be banned for 7 days At 10 points you will be banned for 30 days, 30 points will see you banned for 90 days, and 32 points will result in a permanent ban.
Breaking of any of these rules is a breach of your agreement. We reserve the right to ban or terminate any user at any time for any reason. Penalties will vary based on the severity of the situation.